======= ======= ====== ====== ====== ===== ==== ====== ====== ===== ==== ======= ======= ====== ====== ====== ===== ==== ====== ====== ===== ====
At what point will mascots just cease to exist? For decades, Rutgers’ mascot has been this goofy and creepy looking knight. No one has complained because they have other things to complain about, such as the performance of their athletic teams.
That all changed when the school’s student government called for a student makeover. The result was a bill passed that wants to see more gender and ethnic diversity in the Scarlett Knight to better reflect the student body.
A bill passed by the Rutgers University Student Assembly calls for more gender and ethnic diversity in the mascot costume, according to a report by The Daily Targum, the school’s student newspaper.
Emmet Brennan, student assembly parliamentarian, came up with the idea after noticing the mascot is light-skinned with blue eyes, which he said isn’t representative of the school’s diversity.
If they really wanted the mascot to reflect the school’s population, then it should be orange from all that spray tanning people in New Jersey do. While we are at it, there are other schools that should change their mascot to better reflect the student body.
• The Florida Gators should make their mascot wear jorts.
• The Wisconsin Badgers should cover their mascot in even more hair.
• Michigan State’s Sparty should be dead to better reflect the population of Detroit.
• The Missouri Tiger should be wearing a hoodie.
• SMU’s pony should be upgraded to an Arabian — the most expensive horse that money can buy.
• Alabama’s elephant should have a missing tusk, and a female counterpart that is also its cousin.
LSU might also want to consider changing from being the Tigers to being the corn dogs. Just a thought. The only mascot who truly represents their full student body is West Virginia’s Mountaineer because he’s your typical redneck..
Image via YouTube