NEW TFM Videos Section

Watch thousands of hilarious videos from college campuses across the country.

Watch Now

2 Ridiculously Brave Soldiers Who Risked Their Lives To Rescue Comrades Were Awarded The Distinguished Service Cross

======= ======= ====== ====== ====== ===== ==== ====== ====== ===== ==== ======= ======= ====== ====== ====== ===== ==== ====== ====== ===== ====

Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 4.26.23 PM

There are countless men and women serving overseas who do insanely brave things every day of the week. However, some of those troops stand out for their noble deeds. Two of them, Sergeant Bryan Anderson and Staff Sergeant Jeffery Dawson, were recently awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, our nation’s second highest award for valor.

Anderson, a medic assigned to 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, received his for his actions on the night of Oct. 5, 2013. It was then, during a raid planned to kill or capture a high-value target, that he and several other soldiers were chasing down an insurgent who was attempting to flee the target compound. Not long after they began their pursuit, enemy fighters detonated the first of several explosive devices.

Without thinking of his own personal safety, Anderson ran 300 meters toward the area the explosions came from in order to assist his “buddies who were bleeding out back on the compound.”

From Army Times:

“I wasn’t concerned with getting hurt myself,” Anderson said. “I was concerned about my brothers being hurt.”

His quick thinking and willingness to risk his own life allowed him to reach one soldier, PFC Pinnick, who was “directly in the center of the entire IED belt.” He treated Pinnick’s wounds and, in doing so, saved his life.

Dawson, an explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) technician, received the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions on the same mission. During the initial explosions, Dawson was hit to the legs with shrapnel. Knowing that one of his fellow soldiers, PFC Pinnick, was wounded and in need of dire assistance, Dawson began clearing a pathway to ensure there were no more explosive devices around that could pose a threat to those providing aid.

“At this point, I knew that there were IEDs everywhere,” Dawson said. “I just didn’t know where they were at or how they were employed in the ground.”

By the time he was able to reach Pinnick, Anderson — the medic who had run through the uncleared area despite the fact that several undetonated explosive devices were still in place — was already there providing lifesaving medial care.

Braving numerous explosions and wounds, both Dawson and Anderson continued to provide aid to their wounded comrades, move soldiers to the casualty collection point, and retrieve the remains of their deceased brothers in arms.

In all, four soldiers gave their lives on that mission, with many more being wounded. Thanks to the incredible actions of Anderson and Dawson, that number wasn’t any higher.

[via Army Times]

Image via Shutterstock

Email this to a friend

14 Comments You must log in to comment, or create an account
Show Comments

Download Our App

Take TFM with you. Get

The Feed